The moment I first saw Frozen, Anna was instantly put on my list of future cosplays.. and slowly but surely she crept up the priority list until she actually surpassed Faramir, the one I was currently working on at the time. I dunno, it just happened! This might be the most complicated and time consuming cosplay I’ve ever done, but it’s definitely worth it. In this post I’ll explain how I made a majority of the cosplay; everything you can see in the picture to the side <–. I’ll do another post when I’ve made her pink cape, boots, and figured out how to put a white stripe in my hair (Here it is: https://acescharles4.wordpress.com/2014/09/29/anna-frozen-cosplay-part-2/)! Anyways, without further ado, here’s how I did it:
-Blue collared shirt
-Navy blue fabric (~3 meters, depending on your pattern)
-Light blue fabric (1.5 meters)
-HeatnBond (picture below, 2 meters)
-Black shirt (NON-STRETCHY) that clasps/zips up in the back, or is hidden in the front OR a corset pattern
-Two packages of double-fold, extra wide yellow (as close to gold as can be found!) bias tape
-Embroidery hoop and floss
-Zipper (for skirt)
1. The first thing I did was make the skirt! I used a super ghetto old pattern I got from Value Village a while back (same one I used for Ariel), but the skirt is a really generic shape so a pattern would be very easy to find in a store. When I was finished it looked a little something like this:
2. Then it was time to figure out those stupid scallops! I thought about many ways I could do this but I settled on using HeatnBond. Basically it’s sticky on both sides when ironed so that I could stick the scallops right onto the skirt. It worked okay, there were some folds that I couldn’t get out but nothing that should be too noticeable. I was pretty happy with it over all.
2.1 First I did a lot of measuring. I measured how many scallops I wanted around the skirt, the distances between them, the height I wanted them to be, etc. and marked the skirt. This is all based on personal preference. I think I ended up with 8 scallops in total.
2.2 I traced these marks onto my transfer fabric, I used tule but anything see-through will do. When I cut the scallops out of the tule, I traced them onto the light blue fabric (with the HeatnBond already ironed on)
2.3 From there I followed the instructions on the HeatnBond to iron the scallops onto the skirt.
3. Next I needed to make a pattern to use for the embroidery on the skirt. I used this reference photo:
I drew a line down the centre of a piece of paper and drew freehand the right side of the design. When I traced it onto the skirt, I just flipped the pattern over to trace the left side so that it would be as symmetrical as possible.
4. Now it’s time to pick up that embroidery hoop, settle into a comfy chair, put on a nice long movie or three, and start embroiderin’. It does take quite a long time, but I think it looks really nice when finished!
I found my shirt at Value Village, and all that needed to be done was adjust the collar to match Anna’s.
1. To do this, I just traced where I wanted the new collar to be, cut it, pinned it, folded it down and sewed it shut. Simple as can be!
I also found this piece at Value Village, though it’s almost unrecognizable now! And I completely forgot to take a picture of it before I started cutting away… Basically it was a long blouse with puffy sleeves that (invisibly) clasped up the front.
1. First I cut off the sleeves.
2. Then I cut the bottom into the shape I wanted.
3. I also slightly adjusted the shape of the neckline.
4. Then I lined the entire thing with yellow bias tape
5. Then I needed to make another embroider pattern which I, again, did freehand using these reference photos:
And it looked like this…
And that’s it..so far! If you have any questions about anything I did or the materials I used or anything, please ask! I’m still deciding what kind of material to make her cape out of, but I should be working on that in the near future.
Until then, arrivederci! Go get outside and build a snowman, it’s good for you once in a while 😉